Tuesday, June 23, 2009

In Memory of Karen

How do I begin this post? It is a little difficult to do, but, one that needs to be done.
Tim and I met this couple for the first time on June 6, 2009. I told you about them a few postings ago. These two know my son, Elder Andrew Jennings, who is serving in the Knoxville, Tennessee Mission. A few months ago Andrew wrote and told us Keith and Karen were coming here to visit family and would come to see us. They did come and spend a few enjoyable hours. Karen was open and told us she was fighting cancer and had even received chemo twice here while visiting. They told us that they began dating while she was bald, throwing up and fighting against her cancer. For 7 years she has been fighting it. This evening I looked at my caller ID and noticed a phone call from Knoxville, Tennessee. A Sister Clark called and said, "Elder Jennings is just fine but he asked me to call you and ask you a special favor." I called them back and Sister Clark told me that Karen died this morning and Elder Jennings wanted us to send the family some flowers. I was not expecting to hear this. Keith and Karen were still visiting her in this state and taking classes at a local university. Karen looked weak two weeks ago, but, not that weak. In honor of Karen I will write a little of what I learned about her in the small time I got to know her.
My memories of Karen:
A young woman with a lot of love for her husband. (And, he loves her, too!)
She was never a quitter
She didn't expect anyone to wait on her...very independant.
She would share her experiences, good and bad and make you feel comfortable asking about her
health.
She smiled often.
Never complains.
Optimistic.
Intelligent and wanting to learn more.
Beautiful inside and out.
Kind
Loves her family.
She loves her Savior, Jesus Christ and served him happily.
She has a love for music and could play several instruments.
Karen is a wonderful person and we are so grateful to have had the opportunity to meet her. I know she will be missed. I wish her family peace and comfort in the lonely days ahead.

1 comment:

Bilary said...

I still can't get over this one. It is so sad that she is gone. It's so nice that she isn't suffering, but her poor husband...I feel so bad for him. I think it's great that you got to meet them before this happened though.