Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Nigeria! We are Here!

 Tim and I arrived in Nigeria in pretty good shape.  We were stopped in the airport in Atlanta by someone who knew Hilary and Bill in one of their wards.  Facebook makes the world smaller.  We flew all night to Lagos, Nigeria to begin the real work.  We have a beautiful apartment above the mission office.  We were met at the airport by the Bakers (who we are replacing) and the Wingetts who are the welfare couple.  We had a few challenges getting through customs and such, but not bad.  Our ride got held up in traffic and we were guarded by 2 men while we waited for our ride.  It was very interesting. 
So, these pictures aren't in the correct order. but, above we have our living room...decorated by the Bakers.  When they leave, our apartment may be a little bare.
 Our mission President, President Karkari met us when we drove up with smiles, handshakes, and hugs. 
 This is our kitchen!  The frying pan was on the stovetop.  It looked like it wanted to be in the picture.  We did arrive in the rainy season.  The air is a little humid, but, it has been very nice, so far.
Today, July 25th, we looked out the back window of the Baker's new apartment (since we took over theirs) and watched part of an "end of the year" school ceremony.  There was singing and some dancing.  This is a verynice private school.  Maybe on another day I will take pictures of the actual school.  The church's compound is the brightest spot of the city I have seen so far.  We walked across a busy street to the market and purchased a few apples, a pineapple and an Asian Pear.  We'll go grocery shopping tomorrow.
We did a little office work (watching) today and I hope we learn more tomorrow.  We only have the Bakers another week for training.  We have tons to learn.
I asked where the call center is.  That is where volunteers call students to update their profile page and check on them making sure they are okay and telling them we are here to support them and help them in any way we can.  Sister Baker looked at me with a smile and told me we, Tim and I are the call center for now.  We may want to get one up and running.  When they got here they didn't have enough students to warrent having a call center.  There are enough students now and we can see the numbers growing quickly.  Wow!  Lots to do.  My head is swimming a little.  Okay, maybe a lot.

5 comments:

Karey said...

That is such a cute apartment, much nicer than I pictured it would be. Your frying pan picture reminds me of "Tangled".

Unknown said...

Ditto what Karey said! I totally thought of Tangled. That's funny. I LOVE your apartment. Your kitchen is way snazzy. I love it! I think it will be a nice 18 months for you! And don't worry about the call center. You guys will do great!!! You can manage to get one up and running no problem. :)

Flora Lee said...

So glad to see you are there safe and sound.

Julie B said...

I checked before you posted and have been slow to get back on for fear of being disappointed-thought I was going to have to have Joshua call Andrew. You look no worse for wear for traveling so long! Looking forward to future posts and hearing how wonderful things are going or sometimes not...

Tai said...

So fun!! I guess I need to check your blog more often!